Have you noticed a profusion of white bumps on your face, typically around your nose, chin or cheeks and wondered what they are? These are whiteheads, a type of acne, which form when the hair follicles on your face get clogged with dead skin cells, dirt, bacteria or oil. People having oily skin typically get whiteheads.
Occasionally whiteheads are also formed as a result of:
- hormonal changes, which take place in your body during the onset of puberty, pregnancy or menopause
- medications which may affect your hormone levels, for example, birth control pills that some women take
- an increase in levels of androgens, which are male sex hormones present in both men as well as women
- cosmetics such as certain types of make-up
You can try to get rid of whiteheads with simple natural treatments and see if it will work for your skin.
How to Get Rid of Whiteheads – 9 Natural Treatments
There are quite a few kinds of topical medication which can be used to remove whiteheads. A popular over-the-counter (OTC) remedy is the usage of topical creams and ointments for acne treatment, especially one which has salicylic acid as well as benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide is useful in killing any bacteria which may be present in the pores of your skin. Salicylic acid assists in drying any excessive oil which may be causing your whiteheads.
However, in some individuals, these may lead to a bit of tingling on their skins due to the acidic combination. At times, usage of these products may lead to developing blisters or rash on your skin accompanied by swelling, redness or intense itching. If this happens to you, you must not apply the cream any further and consult your family doctor immediately.
If you do have skin that is sensitive, rather than relying on OTC creams, opt for natural whiteheads treatment instead. Here are a few remedies to guide you on how to get rid of whiteheads naturally
#1 Apply Heat
Use either steam or a hot compress on the affected areas. Doing so results in heat opening up the pores, allowing dead skin, sebum, and bacteria to escape. After 10 minutes of doing this, use a mild face cleanser to wash your face and close the pores by washing your face with cold water.
#2 Apply Baking Soda on Your Face
Baking soda is not only great for your cakes; you can use it to get rid of whiteheads too! Take some baking soda and mix in water to form a thick paste. Use your fingertips to apply this mixture on your face. Allow it to dry, which will take 10-15 minutes. Wash it off completely with warm water and pat dry with a towel.
#3 Application of Aloe Vera Gel
The Aloe Vera plant is popularly known as the “miracle plant”. Leaves of the aloe vera plant have found applications in beauty treatment around the globe for thousands of years. This plant looks a lot like a green cactus and is easy to cultivate in your house as it needs small quantities of water to survive. Leaves of this plant hold a somewhat translucent, gooey gel having seemingly miraculous healing properties. If you don’t have aloe vera plant anywhere around, you can buy aloe vera gel in many stores. I like to use this Aloe Vera gel.
Aloe Vera’s translucent gel consists of approximately 96% water and has a kind of protein containing 18 of the 20 amino acids found naturally in the human body. Apart from these, the gel also contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
When it comes to whitehead removal, use of the Aloe Vera gel brings fast results because of the presence of gibberellins and auxins in the gel. The auxins and gibberellins have an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effect and help reduce all types of acne, including whiteheads. Aloe Vera gel also contains polysaccharides aiding in stimulation of growth of new skin cells. Regular application of Aloe Vera gel before going to sleep is useful in speeding up the removal of whiteheads and in the preventing formation of any scars.
#4 Use Oatmeal as a Face Pack
You might have noticed oatmeal based products like oatmeal soaps being sold nowadays for use on your face. You may have also thought quizzically to yourself that isn’t oatmeal supposed to be eaten rather than applied on your face? Actually, not only can it be eaten, it can also be used as a marvelous exfoliating agent for your face. Using oatmeal as a face pack helps in removing any dead skin and bacteria from your face. And it is especially useful in getting rid of whiteheads.
How to use oatmeal face pack:
- Take some oatmeal powder and mix it with a cupful of plain yogurt
- Pick up the mixture on your fingertips and place on your facial skin and leave it for approximately 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water and subsequently with cold water which helps close your skin’s pores
- Repeat twice weekly.
#5 Use Sugar and Honey Paste to Get Rid of Whiteheads
Sugar may be well known for sweetening tea, coffee, and desserts, but it is also a very effective exfoliating agent for your skin. It can also be used in a homemade lip scrub.
Using sugar and honey paste is very simple and it helps in removal of bacteria, dirt and also dead skin cells. Doing so over a period of time helps in getting rid of those pesky whiteheads.
How to use the paste:
- Mix sugar along with honey to make a paste
- Apply on your face gently using your fingertips
- Ensure that your entire face is covered by massaging this paste all around your facial area
- Leave this paste on for approximately 10 minutes
- Wipe the paste off with the help of a clean cloth
- Rinse the residue off with cold water
- Repeat once a week
#6 Apply Honey and Egg Mixture
A mixture of honey and egg is very useful in the removal of whiteheads as egg whites help in making the pores of your facial skin firm and honey is a great moisturizer. Egg white can also be used in many different face mask recipes.
How to use:
- Take 1/2 teaspoonful of almond oil, egg whites from an egg, 1 tablespoonful of organic yogurt and mix with 1 tablespoonful of slightly warm honey
- Mix the ingredients well using a fork
- Apply the mixture in a thin layer on your face
- Allow it to stay on your face for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
#7 Use Strawberries to Be Whitehead Free
Strawberries are not only a delicious fruit to snack on, they are also extremely useful in whitehead removal. They are very useful in removing any dirt along with dead skin cells which may cause whiteheads to appear on your face. So, next time you go to the supermarket, buy a few extra pounds of strawberries. Eat a few of them to load up on vitamin C, magnesium, manganese and keep a few to help remove whiteheads!
How to use:
- Prepare a paste by mashing strawberries
- Add a tablespoon full of honey which helps in making the paste viscous
- Spread on your face in an even fashion
- Leave on for 15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water
- Repeat twice weekly
#8 Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Kill Whitehead Causing Bacteria
Apple cider vinegar is extremely effective as a face cleanser by helping in the removal of any excessive oil and dirt from your face. It also has some natural components which assist in killing the bacteria which are responsible for causing whiteheads and blackheads too!
How to use:
- Take a tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar and mix well in a cupful of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and apply gently to any affected areas of your face
- Leave on for approximately 20 minutes
- Rinse off completely with lukewarm water.
#9 Application of Fenugreek Leaves
If you make a paste of water and Fenugreek leaves and apply it for a couple of weeks, you will get rid of whiteheads for a substantial period. It is best to use fresh leaves but as those are hard to find, you can also buy dried leaves and it will work just fine.
How to get rid of whiteheads with Fenugreek leaves:
- Take some Fenugreek leaves and grind it with water to make a paste
- Apply the paste on your face before going to sleep
- Wipe the paste off in the morning
- Wash any remaining residue with cold water
- Repeat every day for 2-3 weeks and be whitehead free!
- Wash your face at least two times a day
- Eat healthy ensuring you consume five helpings of fruits and green vegetables daily
- Drink loads of water
- Ensure you remove any makeup before sleeping at night
- Change pillow covers regularly
- Ensure that you moisturize your skin regularly
- Never pop any whiteheads. Doing this may lead to the formation of pimples
- Stay away from oily or spicy food
- Have alcohol, coffee, chocolates and carbonated drinks in moderation
- Apply proper sunscreen while sunbathing
Whiteheads which appear on your chin, nose, and your cheeks, may seem extremely unsightly. Fortunately, you can get rid od whiteheads effectively using the above natural remedies. Try the above remedies one by one to find out which suits you the best.