Hair is constantly subjected to abuse, thanks to styling, heating, and coloring. The strands interact with harsh chemicals and the heat can result in hair damage as well as breakage. The shampoos, styling gels, hair sprays and conditioners also contribute to dry and brittle hair. This calls for a milder option. Jojoba oil comes in handy.
Jojoba oil is a very common ingredient in hair products and for a good reason. It has a molecular structure that is very similar to sebum, which is the natural oil produced by your scalp. Read further about the benefits of jojoba oil for hair and how you can use it for beautiful, healthy hair.
When buying jojoba oil, make sure it is 100% organic and pure, without any additives. I am very satisfied with jojoba oil from Majestic Pure.
Benefits of using jojoba oil for hair
1. Helps to clean build-up on your scalp and hair
If your scalp has clogged sebum, jojoba oil is able to remove and get rid of it. Jojoba is able to solubilize build-up and airborne particles from the hair and remove them. This is a good measure for the prevention of hair fall and breakage. Jojoba also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that also contribute to a clean and healthy scalp. It will leave your hair shiny while bringing its color to the fore.
2. Helps in hair growth
When there is extra natural oil on your scalp, the hair follicles get blocked. The clogged follicles affect hair growth and result in breakage and hair falling off. Using jojoba oil to clear the clogged follicles encourages the development of new hair cells, resulting in hair growth.
3. Helps to condition hair
Jojoba oil contains proteins and minerals that act as a natural conditioner. These moisten your hair follicles and condition the hair. This way, the hair is prevented from becoming brittle. Using jojoba oil also helps in taming frizzy hair.
4. Helps to moisten a dry scalp
Jojoba oil will help to moisturize a dry scalp, getting rid of the flaky and brittle skin which is commonly referred to as dandruff. Jojoba oil is able to moisturize the scalp without evaporation. The moisturizing effect, therefore, lasts longer, balancing the scalp’s pH level. The antibacterial properties in the oil also keep the scalp healthy. If you have dandruff, psoriasis or an excessively dry scalp, jojoba oil produces a soothing effect. The oil ensures strong hair from the roots.
5. Helps to get rid of an oily scalp
Jojoba oil helps in controlling sebum production on the scalp. The follicles are not therefore clogged, and there is just enough sebum. The oil brings a healthy balance of the amount of oil in hair.
How to use jojoba oil for hair
For you to reap the above-discussed benefits from jojoba oil, you need to use it appropriately. Let’s delve into different ways to use jojoba oil for hair:
1. Hot oil treatment
Before you shampoo, give your hair a hot oil treatment.
- Add a few drops of jojoba oil to a bowl. The amount of jojoba oil you use should be determined by hair length. If your hair is long, use more drops.
- Heat the oil in a microwave.
- Apply the heated oil onto your hair. Do not apply it directly onto the scalp as it may clog up the hair follicles.
- Use a plastic cap to cover your hair.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair and wash it.
- Rinse and apply hair conditioner.
- Rinse again.
2. Massaging the scalp using jojoba oil
You can use jojoba oil to massage your scalp. Pay attention to the ends too. This way, you increase blood circulation, stimulating the growth of hair follicles, and ultimately hair growth.
3. Using the oil in your hair conditioner
- Add a teaspoon of jojoba oil to your hair conditioner and thoroughly apply it to the hair.
- Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Wash the hair.
4. Using jojoba oil as a leave-in conditioner
- Rub a few drops of the oil on your palm
- Run your fingers through your hair
5. Using jojoba oil and essential oils
You can use jojoba oil with essential oils for maximum benefits. This hair oil mixture has a very long shelf life and it won’t spoil for months and even years because jojoba oil has an incredibly long shelf life of at least 5 years. You can make this mixture once and use it for months.
- 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil
- 5 drops of an essential oil such as rosemary (it helps with hair loss)
- Mix the jojoba and essential oils
- Pour some oil onto your fingers
- Gently massage the oil into your scalp. If you have lost hair, massage more oil into the most affected areas.
- Allow the oil to sit on the scalp for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Thoroughly wash your hair, ensuring that all the oil has been washed out. Massage your scalp as you shampoo.
Use this treatment twice per week continuously for 6 weeks. If you do not see any improvements, you can continue to 3 months. By this time, you will have noticed some improvements.
Using jojoba oil for hair is undoubtedly worth it
The oil’s composition is very similar to the natural oil found on your scalp making it a natural option. It is a wonder that it is so beneficial to the hair! All you need to do is use it appropriately and great results will follow.